Nutmeg tree is an evergreen tropical tree that yields thrice in a season. It has both male and female trees. It takes almost nine years for the tree to blossom. But, once it starts flourishing, it fruits for around 75 years! And It grows upto 20-50 feet tall. The bark of the tree is brownish grey and leaves are dark green in color. The pale yellow coloured fruit of the tree is very popular for its cooking and medicinal uses. From its leaves to its roots, every part of the tree has some or the other utility.
The fruit of nutmeg is very famous all over the world for its ability to produce two spices (nutmeg and mace) and has many nutritional and medicinal values. This oval shaped fruit can be divide into three different parts. The outer shell, the aril and the seed .
The outer shell: The outer shell is hard and pale yellow in color and is used for cooking purposes.
The aril: The aril or the ‘lacy’ part of the fruit which is also called as mace is the outer covering of the seed. The reddish coloured mace is sundried and then powdered. The sundried powdered mace is then used as Spice.
The seed: The dark brown seed or the nutmeg is very aromatic and is a rare spice. To use it as a spice it is sundried then the brown covering is separated from the kernel and then the kernel is grinded into fine powder. Nutmeg has many health benefits and is an effective cure for may health related problems. These days Nutmeg powder, soap, oil, balm is also available in the market.
The Fruit splits open naturally when it is fully ripened and the seed covered by the mace falls on the ground which is then collected and used to prepare the spices.
There are many benefits and healing properties of nutmeg. Following are some of them:
- Helps in getting better sleep.
- improves concentration
- Helps in getting relief from digestive problems
- Increases blood circulation.
- Strengthens gums and protects the tooth and treats bad breath.
- Soothes muscular and joint pains.
- Helps in Lowering Cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Is a cure for nausea and vomiting
- Relieves from stress and anxiety.
- A very good cleanser of Kidney and Liver.
- Good for removing deadskin, blackheads and whiteheads, acne and makes your skin clean and clear.